Secondhand Sunday

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sundays are my Secondhand day. I'm basically too lazy to think of anything new to say so I re-post a "vintage" entry.

If you aren't in the mood for repeats, please feel free to change the channel.

"Do boys make passes at girls who wear glasses?"

Original Post Date, June 15, 2009



I think it’s important to test the market occasionally to measure the viability of what you’re trying to sell. I’m selling me, myself and I so I thought I would try the same unscientific experiment that I utilized in February.
I discovered this dating website that lets you post a picture of yourself and have the site users “rate” you. Back in February, I decided to post a picture of myself after I cut 8 inches off my hair. You can see the results here.
I don’t really pay much attention to how the women voted because hey, women are bitches. 
This time around, I wanted to see if boys really do make passes at girls who wear glasses. As you can see from the figures below, I didn’t fare a whole lot different than when I wasn’t wearing glasses.

MEN

Average (77 votes) 6.31

18-25 (18 votes) 5.61

26-32 (15 votes) 5.53

33-40 (15 votes) 7.33

41+ (29 votes) 6.62

WOMEN

Average (6 votes) 5.33

18-25 (2 votes) 6.5

26-32 (0 votes)

33-40 (2 votes) 4.5

41+ (2 votes) 5

However, to take it one step further, the first time around, my inbox was inundated with introductory emails from men interested in getting to know me. Okay, inundated might be an exaggeration but there were a whole bunch.
Interestingly enough, this time I only got 5 emails in the same weekend time frame. So, let’s analyze this. They obviously think my “attractiveness” factor was the same as Chrissy sans glasses, so why the disparity?

Do I look more intelligent? Is it that men want to be in relationships with women they don’t have to talk to and that I look like I might jump into a discussion of quantum physics or worse yet, ask him what he’s feeling?


Do I look less intelligent? Does my spectacled face bring back memories of nerdy Lisa Loopner?




Maybe they're just not buying what I'm selling anymore...

Nahhhhh! It was the perfect segue, though, wasn't it?

3 comments

  1. You are pretty either way, besides in most cases, women look good in ball caps and glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a pair of vintage 1950's cat eye glasses, had my prescription put in, and am wearing them every day. Even though I'm a Sagittarian, very self-confident, and a little vain, I find that I've finally reached the age (45) where I am completely free of caring what anyone else thinks about how I look. I love these glasses, they make me feel funky and retro, and when you really get down to it, everyone's wrapped up in their own dramas - they don't really care what anyone else looks like.

    BTW, I like your new haircut, and the glasses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @R. Jacob,
    Aw, thanks! Too bad a baseball cap won't fit over my melon head.

    @Marcheline,
    Your glasses sound WAY cool! Thanks, but this is my OLD haircut from a few years back. It's an old post. :-)

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, you know you want to say it..

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It