I know I am, but what are you?

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

You’re weird.

I hear this sentence at least once a week. It’s usually because of some comment I’ve made that the person who said this to me is too afraid to utter out loud themselves. Or it’s because of something I’ve done that’s a little off center and people don’t know how to react.

You’re weird.


Let me give you an example. My earliest memory of someone saying this to me was when I was 18. I was working for Casual Corner, a now defunct women’s clothing store, and the manager, Lilly, used to tell me this all the time. One Halloween, the girls in the store were going to have a costume party and everyone was discussing what they were going to be.

“I’m going to be a pussycat and wear a black leotard with a tail attached,” said cute blonde Debby.

“I’m going to buy a sexy French maid outfit,” chimed in Lilly.

“I’m going to be a Playboy bunny and have bunny ears and a fluffy ball of a tail,” said buxom Carla.

“I’m going to be a monster. I’ll wear a man’s suit and a monster mask and no one will know it’s me!” I excitedly reported.

You’re weird.

I realize that I look at the world a little differently than most but I think it’s far more interesting this way. It is for me, at least. And I know it throws people off because I look so...well...normal.

Well, if being weird is wrong, I don’t wanna be right!

I jokingly said to a friend that I should post a personal ad with a link to my blog and if someone still wants to meet me after they read it, we might actually have a chance together. Because what you see here is what you get.

I met this manly man firefighter back in the Fall and we went out a few times. Well, here’s the background.

Manly man and I have been in a texting relationship for a little while now so I decided to put my theory to the test.

Hey, I typed, check out my blog and I gave him the address.

Then I waited.

Will he think it’s funny?

Will he be offended?

Will he respond back at all?

About 5 minutes later, I got my response:

You’re weird. And hysterical. I love it! (paraphrased-I actually think he said I was messed up)

Now that he’s been following my blog for four weeks, I think he’s gotten to know me pretty well and that was evidenced by his comment to me yesterday.

God, you’re a mess.

Yes! He gets me. He really gets me. sniff sniff

I just hope I don't develop carpal tunnel before I see him again..

15 comments

  1. OMG, Chrissy...I know I've said this to you before, but I'll say it again...

    ...I LOVE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR!

    This post was fabulous.

    And listen, everyone always thinks I'm weird too. In fact, I had this one guy look at me and say, "You ain't right!"

    I agree. If being weird is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

    I like being weird. If people aren't weird, then their boring to me.

    Hey...and this firefighting manly man sounds like a GREAT guy!

    You GO, girl!


    P.S. and I SO remember Casual Corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I worked at Casual Corner too!

    Glad Manly Man didn't run the other way after reading your blog.

    I prefer to hide all my weirdness and let it all out at once two years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ron. You get me, too! But that's because you're as weird as me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Andres. Coming from you, that means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny, Tina. I think everyone worked for Casual Corner at one time or another.

    Time will tell with Manly Man but I don't think I could keep it in for two years. Besides, by then, he would have met my family and that's usually where I lose them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stuck on the fact that your earliest recollection of being called weird was when you were 18. My earliest such recollection is when, about 30 seconds post-birth, I started playing jumprope with the umbilical cord and the midwife said, "Damn, that kid's weird."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute blog. Er, ah, haven't I seen you before workin' the pole at the Itchy Kitty Klub in Columbus?

    ReplyDelete
  8. very ironic considering i too worked as a manager at Casual Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Chris,
    I think you win the prize for being MORE weird than me. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yellow Cake,
    No, you must be confusing me with my cousin, Missy Moon. I don't go that far south. To dance, I mean.

    Thanks for stopping by~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lamaworks,
    You worked for CC, too? I loved that place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! Now Yellow Cake Jr. is all aroused 'n stuff. And It's All YOUR Fault, Buckeye!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really? Like taking candy from a baby...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, Really Good Job! Ya actually had the li'l soldier standin' at attention fer quite a spell.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, you know you want to say it..

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It