Hey, I know you!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I say this a lot.
 
And I get a lot of weird looks.
 
You see, I have a freakishly accurate memory of people that I've met. And I'm not talking about people that I went to school with. I'm talking about the guy I met  25 years ago who was the brother of my friend's college roommate that I met when we were at a club downtown and it was last call. His name was Dave, he was studying anthropology and was home for winter break. He drove a red Ford Probe and wore a brown leather Members Only jacket.




Leather!

And he wore Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein. Ahh...the smell of it!
 
Scary stuff, right?

I started my new job on Monday. My supervisor walked me around to introduce me to everyone and as we walked past one empty office, I looked at the name on the door and said, "I think I know her."

Of course, I was sure that I knew her. It was 1997 and I was leasing apartments while I was going to college full time. She and her boyfriend came in and rented a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment. They were about my age and I got to be friends with her boyfriend. He was in sales and I would see him out at the bars after work with his friends. He even tried fixing me up with one of them but we weren't exactly a match.

She was a stunning, petite brunette working as an admin assistant at one of the local television stations. He was always in and out of his apartment as I was touring people around the property and he had a bad habit of forgetting his keys in the front door so I would have to knock and tell him they were there. Again.

She got pregnant right before I transferred to another property and I remember him talking to me about it and telling me they were going to get engaged. I think we may have kept in touch briefly after I left but then we just fell off each other's radar.

I was able to meet her at the office a little later in the day on Monday and when I said, "I think I know you. You lived at The Timbers apartments." she gave me the requisite "Who the hell are you? I've never seen you before in my life." face and stated that she had never lived in an apartment.

A few more reminders and it all came back to her. She said she didn't remember me and I didn't give her any details of my friendship with her now ex-husband because when I tell people things in detail that I remember, I'm sure they're probably thinking that I've been stalking them all these years.

Don't they know I don't have time for that? I'm too busy randomly memorizing every detail of a chance encounter with their third cousin, twice removed, so that I can remember them when I run into them again in 25 years.

5 comments

  1. "I'm too busy randomly memorizing every detail of a chance encounter with their third cousin, twice removed, so that I can remember them when I run into them again in 25 years."

    Bwhahahahaha! Chrissy, that made HOWL!

    And boy...you DO have an accurate memory for remembering people that you've met. And such DETAILS.

    "And he wore Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein. Ahh...the smell of it!"

    And I chuckled when I read that because I wore that fragrance too! Even now whenever I smell it, I think, "Ahh...the smell of it!" I still like that fragrance.

    I was thinking about you on Monday, wondering how the new job was going. Hope well!

    Have a super week...X



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so crazy, Ron. I don't know why I remember this stuff and yet, can't remember where I put my glasses when I take them off.

      Did you really wear Obession? Great cologne!

      Loving the new job! It's a little tough getting to bed early so I can get up at 6:00 but I think that once I get into the routine, I'm really going to like having my afternoon free. I came home and napped today!

      Hope your snow finally stopped!

      Delete
  2. The memory is a weird place. I can remember all the details of various classic muscle cars and fighter jets...yet can't remember the names of people that I worked with for years.

    Lots of luck and happiness in the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird, isn't it Pablo? I can't remember what I had for breakfast!

      Thanks for the well wishes! :-)

      Delete
  3. I too suffer from nearly the same malady... and like you, I've learned not to reveal too much to them. Most people don't remember anything about the people in their lives and tend to think I'm the strange one for remembering...

    Truth be told... there are some that I'd rather forget!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, you know you want to say it..

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It