DANGER, WILL ROBINSON

Thursday, January 22, 2009





Sunday, January 18, 2009 was a sad day. On that day, we lost Bob May, Robot from Lost in Space. The news came as an alert from a local news website so I clicked on it knowing my sister would want to know since she was always a huge fan of the show. I had no patience for anything remotely science fiction oriented and would just laugh at her when she watched Lost in Space or Star Trek. ("Hey.....!", she would blurt out defensively) She didn't watch cool shows like Davey and Goliath.

As I opened the article, I could hear Robot's voice in my head, "Danger, Will Robinson" and thought, gosh how sad that he died. Well guess what? Bob May wasn't even the voice of the Robot! He just wore the Robot's suit. Why do we even know his name? We don't know the guy's name who wore the H.R. Pufnstuf suit. And what about Cling and Clang?

I suppose it's just a reflection of the fans of these shows. They're obsessed with every aspect of it. Maybe they're trying to recapture their youth or maybe they just think it's fun to imagine what life would be like in space. Or maybe they're just freaks. ("Hey......!")

My sister and I were talking about the show and she said that she remembers watching it when she was a kid and thinking that Will Robinson was adorable. (when she was 12) As she grew up and continued to watch reruns of the show, her affections turned to Major Don West (when she was 20) and then John Robinson. (when she 28) She said that about 8 years ago when she met Dr. Smith...

I choked on my Diet Coke and it went up my nose as she told me about the Lost in Space convention that she attended. And how Dr. Smith had a "good bod" on him. (when she was 38)

Really, Lisa? Dr. Smith? ("Hey......!") At least she wasn't attracted to Robot.

Maybe when she's 48. ("Hey.....!")

No comments

Post a Comment

C'mon, you know you want to say it..

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It