Welcome to the family

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

You know how I've been lamenting that no one will hire me for a part-time job. Well, someone finally did! It's a part-time seasonal job at a card store and it's perfect. I wasn't sure that I was going to get it because in the interview, she looked at my last three jobs and said those dreaded words that everyone says to me, "Won't you be bored?"
 
That's the point! I just want something fun to do. I don't need intellectual stimulation or a huge salary. Of course, I didn't say that out loud but she must have read my mind about the "not needing a huge salary" part because it sure ain't. But that's fine.
 
I started training last week and I'm in awe of the amount of training that they have for a part-time, seasonal employee. I'm going on my 10th hour! Policies, procedures, loss prevention, store display, store products. I don't think I had this much training for a hospital administration job!  
 
I managed a card store about 10 years ago but it was a card and party store. If I never blow up another balloon in my life, I can die a happy woman. Graduation parties were the worst! We would have to blow up hundreds of balloons.


HUNDREDS!
 
Besides the balloons, it was a fun place to work. I've always liked wandering around card stores and looking at all the unique gift items. The women in this store are super nice and they really are like a little family. There's always a gift or donuts for some occasion or another and you can tell that they really like each other. AND...I get to wear an apron so I don't have to suck my stomach in. When the manager called to hire me, she said, "Welcome to the family."
 
I think they may wonder why I'm so overly happy all the time. Not sure if I should tell them that I'm just thrilled to talk to someone with opposable thumbs. 

8 comments

  1. Folks you dont have to keep on a leash can be a plus. I hope you enjoy this job.

    As for the balloons. Just remind them there is a national helium shortage.

    Oh, and if kids come in and make a mess you aint allowed to rub their noses in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell-o Christine,

    You entice with a storyline, and then...c'mon we want to hear about Dr. Chrissy having fun with helium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahooooooo...so glad to hear you got a part-time job, Chrissy!

    I used to work part-time for a Hallmark card store in Florida when I was going to cosmetology school.

    Hey, you and I will be working RETAIL this holiday season, so we'll be able to RELATE.

    "I don't think I had this much training for a hospital administration job!"

    HA! Tell me about it! Did they make you watch videos? Those are the worst because they're SO boring.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Simply Suthern,
    Thanks. No balloons at this store. And no bulk candy. Thank God. I would probably be arrested for eating it. Better yet, the average customer is over 35. :-)

    @S,
    No helium fun. That was grounds for immediate termination. Bummer.

    @A Daft Scots Lass,
    Ha ha! Well, I didn't want to say that... ;-)

    @Ron,
    Thanks! And, yes, it's a Hallmark store so LOTS of videos. Hey, if they want to pay me to sit there and watch them, who am I to argue?

    Ye! We can bitch about it together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Bout time you quit loafing around with your beagles...

    Now you can just loaf around with your new co-workers... ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I always thought I'd made a great Walmart greeter...seriously - no.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @LL,
    I know, right. It's great. I spent 15 minutes helping someone pick out a birthday card yesterday! Can you say, NO stress??

    @Travel Girl,
    Thanks! Me, too! You know, if I didn't hate Walmart so much.

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, you know you want to say it..

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It